I’ve been involved in Web and Internet standards and policy for over 15 years, at both the IETF and the W3C. My work focuses on Web and Internet architecture, HTTP, privacy, performance, and metadata.
Principal Architect (9/12–4/17)
Systems Architect, Subject Matter Expert (8/11–8/12)
I was responsible for defining and executing Rackspace’s Cloud Standards strategy, as well as consulting on and improving Rackspace and OpenStack HTTP APIs.
Senior Principal Technical Yahoo! (1/06–8/11)
I also served as a subject-matter expert on HTTP, assisting product groups in architecting, supporting and implementing services, evangelising its use both inside and outside of Yahoo!.
A major part of this was developing, maintaining and supporting Yahoo’s internal build of the Squid Web Cache, including feature development, such as two new invalidation protocols. This software was used both for the front end (e.g., Flickr, 1.8 billion+ hits/day) and back end (e.g., Sports, News, Mail, Frontpage) by more than 35 internal customers. I also assisted with road-mapping features for the newly open-sourced Apache Traffic Server.
Senior Principal Technologist, Office of the CTO (5/02–1/06)
I provided leadership in standards participation and input on the company’s overall technology strategy through innovation and development of strategic technologies, representation of the company to the industry (through conference presentations and standards committees), and by liaising with partners, customers and internal resources.
Research Scientist, Standards and Protocols (9/99–3/02)
I was the company’s resident expert in HTTP, XML, Web services and other Web technologies.
My primary task was the design of Akamai’s “metadata” system, allowing control of distributed server behaviour. I was also designated as the principal liaison to technical standards bodies and industry consortia (e.g., W3C, IETF, JCP), representing the company to colleagues and partners worldwide.
Internet Project Manager (7/98–9/99)
I championed, designed and oversaw implementation of a worldwide enterprise content delivery network, wrote policy directives for architecture and deployment of caching Web proxies, and proactively diagnosed and remedied performance issues with internal Web-based research delivery system.
I was also responsible for Web development and support within the Australiasian region, working with management to develop a Intranet and Internet business plan. This included deploying and maintaining enterprise firewall systems for Internet and extranet access.
Web Engineer (7/96–3/97)
I was the Webmaster for this ISP, responsible for design of corporate identity, packaging, sales and support materials in addition to Web design. I also assisted in the deployment of a large-scale Squid proxy cache cluster, and led a team to ship an Internet dialup client on CD-ROM.
La Trobe University, IT Services
I was responsible for oversight of the University’s Web presence. This included building and maintaining University Web servers and Harvest caching proxies, developing University-wide policies for Internet use in consultation with legal counsel, and designing the University Web site (which won Best Tertiary Education Site at the 1996 Australian Internet Awards). I also planned and presented Internet and Web training seminars to University staff.
- Member, Internet Architecture Board (IAB) (2017-)
- Member, W3C Technical Architecture Group (TAG) (2014-2017)
- Chair, IETF QUIC Working Group (2016-)
- Chair, IETF HTTP Working Group (2007-)
- Chair, W3C Web Services Addressing Working Group (2004-2006)
- Chair, IETF Web Intermediaries Working Group (2001-2002)
- Program Committee Lead, HTTP Workshop (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Co-organiser, Showing of CITIZENFOUR to IETF participants, with video appearance by Edward Snowden (2015)
- Presenter, Strengthening the Internet Against Pervasive Monitoring (STRINT) Workshop (2014)
- Board Member, Web Services Interoperability Organization (WS-I)
- IETF Liaison to the W3C (2006-)
- Representative, W3C Advisory Committee (2000-2002, 2010-2011, 2013-2017)
- Co-Chair, WWW 2007 Developers Track
- Instigator, RED HTTP resource checker
- Contributor, Squid Caching Web Proxy
See my IETF profile for more
Standards-Track and Best Current Practice RFCs
- Author, RFC7807: Problem Details for HTTP APIs
- Author, BCP190/RFC7320: URI Design and Ownership
- Author, RFC7234: Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Caching
- Editor, RFC6902: JSON Patch
- Editor, RFC6901: JSON Pointer
- Author, BCP178/RFC6648: Deprecating the “X-“ Prefix and Similar Constructs in Application Protocols
- Author, RFC6585: Additional HTTP Status Codes
- Author, RFC6570: URI Template
- Author, RFC5988: Web Linking
- Author, RFC5785: Defining Well-Known URIs
- Author, RFC5005: Feed Paging and Archiving
- Editor, RFC4287: The Atom Syndication Format
- Author, BCP90/RFC3864: Registration Procedures for Message Header Fields
W3C TAG Findings
W3C Notes and Member Submissions
- Contributor, Web Application Description Language (WADL)
- Author, ESI Architecture Specification
- Editor, ESI Language Specification
- Author, URISpace
Towson State University, Towson, MD, USA
BA, Interdisciplinary Studies (Self-designed major) 1994
I studied both fine art and journalistic photography, with additional coursework in graphic design, the philosophy of aesthetics, the physics of light, colour theory, and journalism.
I am a citizen of both the United States and Australia. I am a resident of Australia.